Sunday, July 10, 2011

Internalized Regionalism (Big Name, Simple Concept)

Filed under:

Internalized Regionalism

From Clutch Magazine:

I don't have a single, female friend within my inner circle from the South. This is curious because I'm so Southern; I'm crunchy and crispy fried. Moreover, I am very proud of my Southern heritage, take no issue with my family's legacy of slavery, and, indeed, revel in the fact that not only did we overcome, but we became one of the largest landowners in our small southern town.

I posture that more than me choosing friends who are not Southern, friends pick me-as my Southern sensibilities don't jump at you from the outset, but once you see me go "ham on a hog-maw," all is clear. My situation becomes problematic when I think about the fact that these non-Southerners have some blatant and reviled hate for the South. I live in Atlanta which, if you're from anywhere within 500 miles, might as well be New York City. I say this to alert you that the real country folks-the ones that still make hogshead cheese and hang clothes on the line-don't live here. Nonetheless, my non-Southern friends think Atlanta, and its people, is country, backwards, and wish Google made a translator to facilitate a greater understanding of what it is they say. Apparently, "skreet," "scrimps," and "shawdy" aren't real words. Who knew?

Read More Here.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://www.bvblackspin.com/2011/07/08/internalized-regionalism-big-name-simple-concept/

Gina Carano Sanaa Lathan Ana Beatriz Barros Maria Menounos Shakira

No comments:

Post a Comment