Friday, February 25, 2011

Alex Zane: My greatest mistake

The DJ and TV presenter regrets his toxic feud with indie group the Enemy ? and the fallout in the tabloid press

Afew years back I co-presented the Channel 4 show Popworld, and prerecorded an interview with a band called the Enemy. For those who may not know them, I would describe them as being in the Oasis mould of general surliness. They basically hated the interview and refused to grant us permission to air it, so the following week I performed what I thought was a crude, but humorous, recreation of it on the show using dolls.

The next time we crossed paths was at a music awards ceremony. I was trying to be friendly with some of the band members and pass off the Popworld thing as a bit of infantile fun. But Tom Clarke, the Enemy's lead singer, wasn't having it and made some pretty low, offensive comments to me.

I'd love to say that was the end of it and that I'd learned my lesson, but sadly it wasn't. I was also hosting the breakfast show for radio station Xfm at the time, so the following morning I went on air and announced I wouldn't play any more of the Enemy's records on the show. I genuinely saw it as a bit of fun, a breakfast show-type thing.

The next day there were headlines all over the tabloids. I hate seeing myself in the press at the best of times, and it was painful to see the whole thing in print ? what the Enemy thought of me, and so on. It reaffirmed to me how dangerous flippancy can be in a live environment.

A couple of years later, I was hosting a concert and the Enemy were on the bill. Tom and I exchanged a few cursory glances and he sidled over. I took a huge inhalation of breath and he said, "Yeah ? sorry about all that ... stuff ... y'know?" I apologised too. We weren't exactly at the hugging stage, but there was an agreement we should move on.

I underestimated how powerful a record company's PR could be, to be used as a tool you never anticipated. It's why famous people in particular speak with such control, because there is a danger of saying something and not realising the consequences. I'm pleased to have learned that lesson.

Alex Zane's Guest List is on Sky Movies Premiere/HD and he is hosting the channel's live coverage of the Oscars from 11.30pm on Sunday


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/feb/26/alex-zane-my-greatest-mistake

Lorri Bagley Leslie Bega Maria Sharapova Lindsay Price Zoe Saldana

No comments:

Post a Comment