Friday, May 27, 2011

Kate Bush writing new album

Singer to follow Director's Cut with first batch of original songs since 2005

Kate Bush is "working on a new record", she has revealed, just weeks after the release of Director's Cut. The 52-year-old is in the "elusive process" of collecting fresh material for her ninth original album.

"It's all kinds of bits and pieces, really," Bush told BBC 6 Music. "There are always ideas buzzing around, but it's whether they actually end up materialising into a song." Though Bush said she has finished "most of the writing" for her forthcoming album, "it might completely change in a few weeks". There is neither a title nor a release date.

For now, instead of being encouraged by deadlines, the singer is taking inspiration from, er, fertiliser. "I've put a packet of bone meal on my piano and it seems to be helping the sort of blossoming of the songs," she explained. "I was en route to the garden and I happened to have a packet of bone meal and I just left it on the piano and it was there for a few days. Then I noticed that I'd actually written a couple of songs since it had been there, so I thought I'd just leave it there and see if it sped up the process a bit."

While many fans will be happy with Director's Cut, which reworks tracks Bush first released in 1989 and 1993, others still await the follow-up to 2005's original full-length, Aerial. "It's frustrating that the albums take as long as they do," Bush said. "I wish there weren't such big gaps between them. Sometimes it's extremely stressful." For now, she is trying to avoid becoming "a complete old fart" ? "I bought the last Gorillaz album," she revealed ? and get her new tracks finished. "I think," she said, "the songs are bone-mealy."


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/may/27/kate-bush-writing-new-album

Kelly Brook Robin Tunney Kate Groombridge Dania Ramirez Lucy Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment